Wednesday, November 11, 2009

It's Official

I am officially a stay at home mom.

I had 12 weeks of unpaid family medical leave to ease me into it. Now, I can say it...I have officially quit my job to stay home and care for Kendall.

It may seem like a no-brainer to most. I mean, I have a very "medically fragile" daughter who needs skilled care 24/7. But for the past 12 weeks, I have run every scenario in my head. But the bottom line is this: Will I ever look back on my life and say..."gosh, I sure wish I hadn't spent that much time with that little girl?" And the answer is clearly no.

So I am a bit saddened leaving my career. I loved my job. I love the people I worked with. I loved having extra money and freedom during the day. I loved using my brain.

But I also know this world of special needs momism will provide me lots of love too. Already, the nurses, Dr.'s, and other friends in the same boat have oddly become my co-workers. And honestly, I have never used my brain so much in a job before.

I feel a weight has been lifted. When I left teaching for a career change, I never looked back and had a great sense of peace. Now, I feel the same peace.

I am grateful I have a husband who is such a great provider (no pressure now honey!) Who also has managed our finances (and mine) such that we are able to live comfortably on one income. We are blessed.

So, I'd better get off the computer now and go eat some bon-bons and watch some soaps or something. That is what stay at home mom's do right?!

TOTALLY KIDDING!!! Please don't leave any hate mail for that. It was a joke. But this is the first time 16 years I haven't had a job.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will just come over and drink our java and pop in a couple of bon bon's every morning. Congrats Mama.....When can we do lunch with Kendall? I love you......

liz

C. said...

Congratulations from an admiring lurker. Tough decision but clearly one that made the most sense for your family. I wish you luck, love, good days ahead, and a good night's sleep. You are a wonderful and heartfelt writer, please keep it up.

Val said...

we all support you in that decision! Do you own sweats now in every color?

Justine, Romy's Mama said...

Kendall is very lucky to have a mom like you=)

Anonymous said...

oh, you have a job, you just do not get a paycheck for it. You have a very important job that no one else could ever do.

Congratulations.
Mrs. Shay

Jennybell said...

When I first quit my job to stay home with our son I thought it would be so hard to not have my own money. It was surprising how quickly his paycheck became "our" paycheck :)

Holly said...

Of course you have a job! It's a 24/7, crazy, non-sleeping, researching constantly lovely job that you don't get a dime for. You are paid in smiles, kisses and being present for every incredible milestone Kendall and Kamden have.

If you do get any Bon Bon's you better be calling me to share!

Anonymous said...

What a Blessing...and knowing that you have a love for the Lord..He always provides. Congratulations!

TwinsRock08 said...

I love all the new pics of Kendell. She has such a wonderful smile. I know you have made the right decision. I hope to see you and Kendall soon. Maybe a run next week.

Anonymous said...

Jocie, Iwant to remind you that your wonderful Mom was a stay at home mom when both you and Kristin were growing up. She loved erery moment of it and look how great you and your sister turned out. You are both super women and a joy to be around. Your life will be just as rewarding and blessed. I want you to know how proud I am of you and what a special mom you are. Kamden and Kendall are blessed to have you and Justin as parents. It will be good to see you every day and mabye we will finally get to spend some quality time together. HaHa! I love you very much Big Ed

Tara Bennett said...

This is SO exciting!

I had the same questions in my mind when I quit my job. I had become very used to having extra cash for... whatever I wanted. But, just like you said, being with Chloe and giving her my time and care was so much more important than anything good that came from working, so there was peace. I have never regretted my decision and I'm sure you won't either. Kendall is lucky to have such a great mommy.

=)

Bronx Cataldo's said...

You have just taken on the biggest job yeah the pay cheque is not there but it in the end it pays more than a paper cheque.I went from being a working mom of 1 to a stay at home mom of 2 and now I am a saty at home mom to 3. Val's comment of the sweats in diff. colours was funny, my friends gave me a present when I stayed at home full time 5 sweat pants in different colours.

Candace said...

NO you are so right. This has been my motto since Faith was born. If something happened to her, and it's not out of the question, could I live with myself if I went back to work or went out just to be selfish. For me, the answer was always simple. I don't mind giving those things up, the trade off is a life with a miracle. Who could complain:)