Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Change of Heart

I've chickend out on the IMBG scan. Yesterday we received a phone call from the hospital. It was the anesthesiologist wanting to discuss Kendall's chart with me and her previous problems with anesthesia. I was completely taken off guard. I had absolutely no idea this scan required general anesthetic. I also had not idea it was a procedure that lasted almost two hours.

I called Nephrology back to make sure we needed to put her completely under, and discuss the possibility of avoiding the scan all together if her blood pressures were back in a normal range in the next few weeks. We've had a very difficult time with home health and obtaing a blood pressure machine and correctly fitting cuff. It seems like a lot of people were involved in trying to get one (our nursing agency, our home health supply company.) Everyone promised. Nobody delivered. Finally, I took matters into my own hands and borrowed one from Holly and Caleigh! (Holly's kinda famous for being our go-to pharmacist! The girl can clear any diaper rash or g-button problem and has all the tools to do it quickly!) It's good to have friends like that.

Anyway, long story short...Nephrology kept saying over and over that it is their recommendation to perform the scan. That decision won't change even if her blood pressure is fine since her metanephrine levels were high. is my decision to wait until our Endocrine appointment on the 30th, talk to our Endocrine team and go from there. If we do have to do the scan, I will shoot for next month and incorporate her eye examination under anesthesia all at the same time. Thankfully, Cooks is great about cooperating so we won't have to put her under anesthesia more than once.

It only took me all day and talking to a hundred people to come to that conclusion, but my decision is made. I hate not listening to my Dr.'s...there is kind of a lot of second guessing that comes with it, but at the end of the day, I have to trust that I know what's best for her.

Now...if we could just get that little turkey to sleep at night, we would all feel so much better.

1 comment:

Candace said...

Jocalyn, I know that must be a very challenging decision for you to make. Hopefully, things will get better when you get to the other appointment.