Saturday, May 8, 2010

My Mother...

I'm pleased to say my mom is now resting comfortably in her home tonight!

This week has been a whirlwind! Honestly, it is all kind of a blur. On Tuesday afternoon my mom looked to be on her deathbed. Wednesday was such a horrific day getting her admitted into the hospital. Thursday I discovered how much our family counts on my mom as I rushed around town getting my grandmother straightened out. Between taking phone calls from the nursing home about my grandmother's fall (she mistook her night stand for her walker and proceeded to walk into the hall then take a nose dive over it) to hearing all of the Dr.'s new hypothesis about what was wrong with my mom, I was frazzled. By Friday morning, she was undergoing an arterial biopsy of her frontal lobe.
She recovered from surgery fine. The results should be in by Monday, and we will know more. In the mean time, she has stopped the Interferon and started steroids. She is now able to chew and swallow, get in and out of bed, and get to the bathroom by herself. Thank God!
The poison still has a few more days to remain in her system, and we are praying that by the time it is out, she will be on the up and up. We will face the repercussions of getting off the treatments later on.
Knowing that she is at home in her familiar surroundings, with her own TV and tivo'd shows, makes me very relieved. She is able to coherently have a conversation...and she hasn't been able to do that in about 6 weeks. It is so nice to have her back.
The emotional strain of this week definitely set my priorities straight again. Imagining my life without my mom is unfathomable. She is the rock in this family for sure. She always has a positive word and a smile on her face on the toughest of days. She takes care of my dad, my grandma, and my sister and me on a daily basis! So I'm very thankful she is feeling better and we are a few steps closer to figuring things out for her.
My dog also got sick this week. He was moaning out for no apparent reason all day on Wednesday and Thursday. Clearly, I didn't have time to get him to the vet, so I gave him a pain killer (yeah, I have a stash from his last attack by a German Sheppard!) Miraculously he is better now. I'm still at a loss as to what happened to him!
Kendall and Kamden are doing great. Thank goodness! Kamden's old enough to understand what's going on with my mom. And they are VERY close. I really struggled with explaining things to him. Nobody likes to see their children hurt. But he really surprised me with his response. He said God would watch over her and heal her. If he didn't heal her, he'd bring her home and heal her in heaven. Then on Thursday, Justin overheard him talking to Kendall. I guess he didn't know Justin was listening. Apparently she kicked him in the face while he was swinging he sweetly said to her "Don't do that again!" then proceeded to whisper..."you little bi*ch" Um, yeah.
So, I guess this week taught me to hold my family a little closer and never take anyone for granted. It also reminded me that when you really think you can't take can! I guess when you don't have a choice, you just click on auto-pilot and go!
I'm looking forward to a good night sleep tonight! And a lazy Mother's Day tomorrow :)


Jessica said...

So very happy to hear that your Momma is home and doing better. Did Jussy about pee his pants when he heard Kamden?!? Cause I did just reading about it, LOL!!!! He CRACKS me up and he IS such a great kid!!! Kiss those sweet babies for me. Hope you enjoy every second of your lazy Mother's Day!!! Love you guys!!!!

Cjengo said...

Aw I am glad your mom is home, how scary.