Thursday, March 5, 2009

Hematologist Appointment

Well, the appointment was uneventful. I didn't really learn anything I didn't already know. The Factor V was a definite factor in her perinatal stroke. There may have been some other things... and of course we are having more blood work done for that. Kendall will start on an aspirin every day. The Factor V is genetic. Either I am the carrier or Justin is or both. I will be getting my blood drawn too to find out, simply because it could effect Kamden in the future if I was the carrier. A lot of people have Factor V Leiden and don't know it. You wouldn't know it until something happens...i.e. stroke, blood clot, etc. If we had known from the beginning any of this, there wouldn't have been anything we could have done differently. (that kind of puts my mind at ease.) Kendall is at risk of having another stroke, but it is like 2%. If she were to have any kind of surgery they may start her on blood thinners, but that's really the only precaution. It simply increases her risk of having a blood clot. We are also going to have an ultra sound done on her right leg. It is a bit longer than her left one. A while back we had an x-ray done to rule out hip displasia. Now, she thinks that is the leg that could have had a blood clot, and so they are going to do an ultrasound to check out her veins. Something like that! I'll keep you posted on the results.
We increased Kendall's Topamax this morning, and starting tomorrow will be adding B6 to her daily routine too.
Thats all I have. Enjoy your evening!

No comments: