Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Swallow Study

Well, we had a very busy day today. First Kendall had PT and did remarkably! After that we rushed home for OT and she had a really good session with OT too! She took a good nap, then we were off to the Swallow Study.

It was relatively painless. She refused to eat solid food..big surprise (sarcasm) She took about 22 sips of the barium. They were able to hear the "wheezy" sound she makes when eating while they were imaging. She also had 2 seizures during the study.

So...the results? Drum roll... she is not aspirating. It was a safe swallow. I wish that made me breathe a sigh of relief, but the Dr. quickly told me with children like Kendall, there is always a chance of decline. It was not a normal swallow...but it was in the normal range. She had an "intermittent delay in triggering swallow." and "10% laryngeal penetration." In those 22 swallows, "noaspiration was noted, and while congestion was audible, no residue or food was present in pharyngeal area or trachea." Not even during her seizures! So, I guess we're in the clear for now.

Whew. Now, if we could just get her to eat solid foods again without such a fight. I kind of think the taste of the medicine every time we feed her has caused her to dislike eating, but I guess the most important thing is warding off the darn seizures.

I made it though another stressful day with only one Hershey's bar! WoooHooo!!

1 comment:

Ellen Seidman said...

Hi, Jocalyn. Thanks for the kind words on my blog. I am glad to meet you and Kendall! She is DELICIOUS! I am glad the study today went OK.

I watched the video of her laughing, and it brought back such memories—she has the same laugh that Max did as a baby.

Looking forward to connecting more.