Monday, August 24, 2009

Update

Last night was a beating. No sleep whatsoever. Kendall also has ginormous mesquito bites all over her arms and neck which I'm sure aren't helping the situation. She received Insulin injections on the hour every hour. Her blood sugar has come down, she is stable, and is allowed to remain on our current floor instead of the ICU.

Apparently when we arrived she was already in diabetic ketoacidosis. No telling how long she's been that way. On the bright side, we caught it. Results could have been disasterous if we didn't. Of course, I'm irritated that te Dr. on call last Wednseday didn't tell us to come in. Hind sight.

The endocrinologist called me late last night to let me know the labs came back very surprising to him. Her CO2 levels were extremely low. It seems that metabolic acidosis combined with high blood sugar is significant with Type 1 Diabetes. She's obviously lacking Insulin. So we'll be dealing with that for the rest of her life.

Today of course the "diabetes educator" will be here to train me on even more things I never wanted to know learn how to do. Seriously, I have quite a few friends who are nurses or in a relative field...I NEVER had any desire to do anything of the sort. Ugh. They gave me a pre-test. I put "i don't know" as most of my answers because my brain hurts from information overload already. Again. I.dont.want.to.do.this. But I guess I need to put my big girl pants on and deal with it. So I will.

Right now I'm masking exhaustion with multiple cups of coffee. (I gave up caffeine a week ago, but desperate times call for desperate measures.) So we march on.

Still praying Mitochondrial Diseas is not the culprit. I'd like to think we just have Diabetes in addition to everything else. The thought of her organs shutting down makes me want to vomit.

Thanks for everyone's well wishes and words of encouragement. As always, I don't know what I'd do without my friends and family.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, geez, I have a lump in my throat reading your last two posts...I can't believe a seizure broke through, ggrrr. Hopefully as she becomes stable, the keto diet will do its thing. I just can't imagine diabetes on top of that, you are on overload!
I can only imagine what you are going through...I don't know about you, but I am so medically challenged..... you never imagine you would be doing the medical necessities that need be done for the well being of your baby.

I know how you feel about not being there with your other child for his first week of school. As soon as my son started Kindergarten is when our nightmare began with Hudson and I was in the hospital all the time, and not at home with my other babies...it was difficult, but this is a snap shot in time, and hopefully things will soon be figured out with Kendall, and you will find yourself home with all your babies!

Lifting you, Kendall, and your family in prayer...God's peace and grace are showering you as prayers are being said.

Hugs and Blessings Super Mom...

Deb & Hudson

caringbridge.org/visit/hudson

Jennifer Ortiz said...

Girl, gees!!!!!!!!! I am so sorry, and I wish you didn't have to deal with this.
I left a quote from "My Sisters Keeper" on my website today that I think is so fitting regarding our lives.
"It takes only thirty seconds to realize that you will be canceling all your plans, erasing whatever you had been cocky enough to schedule on your calendar. It takes sixty seconds to understand that even if you'd been fooled into thinking so, you do not have an ordinary life" so true so true!

As usual you are in my thoughts, and I never had a desire to be a nurse either.

MMMom said...

Praying, praying, praying & sending you all the strength I have to get through this.

Jessica said...

My heart is heavy so I can't imagine how heavy the burden is to you and Jussy and Kamden. You do have to put on your big girl panties but that doesn't mean that you can't throw a fit about it (if that helps elevate some of the stress). Us Briggs' know how to throw some darn good fits complete with hopping up and down and stomping our feet!!! I know I've told you before but I HATE that you guys are going through all this. I am praying with all my might that it isn't
Mitochondrial Disease. Even bigger hugs and extra, extra love being sent you way!!

P.S. I know it's not the same as you being there but Kamden's in GREAT hands!!!

Caroline said...

Thank u for the update. Sending love and strength to u all. I know exactly what u mean by brain hurting- think I will b feeling same 2moro. Hope's consultant has requested our presence for the afternoon for some results and more tests :0(
xxx

Reagan Leigh said...

Wow...I'm so sorry you are having to deal with all of this. Sometimes it seems that you take one step forward only to take two or three back! Frustrating, to have to deal with yet another diagnosis! The good thing is that you have a reason for her breakthrough seizures/high glucose. Once under control, everything should go back to being nice and seizure free again. Maybe it's a blessing in disguise. You probably wouldn't have found out about this had she not gone on the keto diet and she may have gone on undiagnosed for quite sometime. Hang in there. You and Kendall are certainly in my thoughts and prayers this week!

Anonymous said...

Hey friend,
I am so sorry to hear about this setback. It seems like one step forward and 2 steps back. Keep stepping, it is slow but you are at least going forward. They never said you cannot throw your fit in your big girl panties. I hate this for all of you and I am praying for Kendall, you, the doctors, Justin and Kamden, and all involved. Hugs....Mrs. Shay