Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Can't Get Ahead...

I'm so frustrated. Kendall had a wonderful day yesterday. The weather was beautiful. Our wonderful nurse was with us and we walked Kendall, played, ate, etc..It was a perfect day.

Except for her sugars. They for no apparent reason were up over 200 all day and that warrants extra shots. Her ketones looked good. She slept well last night and dropped in sugars this morning to 69. A huge leap, but she corrected nicely.

Then this morning, Kendall's Aunty Liz came over to give her a pedicure and have coffee with me...She ate nicely, was all smiles, and ready for her usual nap time.

I walked back in to check on her, and you guessed it. Seizure. 45 minutes of hearbreak and questions running through my head. 45 minutes of getting meds, holding her, rocking her, praying. 45 minutes of cursing everything.

She's sleeping now. I did check her sugars in the middle of it and she was 218 after a meal, and ketones were 2.7. Lower than I would like, so that may be the reason. The only thing I can think of is the Amoxicillin. It does have carbs, but the infectious disease Dr. said we needed to finish it at home. So we don't really have a choice.

We are probably going to make more changes in the Levemir. I just hope this isn't a sign that her body is preparing to fight off yet another infection.

I'm bummed. We were suppose to go to the pumpkin patch today, and get out and about, trying to get back into the world....but now she's doped up and sleeping it off. Boo.

Someday we will get back to "normal." right!??

6 comments:

Kristine said...

Poor girl. I can't imagine handling a 45 minute seizure at home alone. You're a strong mommy! I hope it was the last one she'll ever have.

Bronx Cataldo's said...

Look she is one tough cookie just like her Mommie. I felt really bad about the seizure they can be a .......
The amoxiciallian(oops spelling) have you thought about the capsules now since she has the g-tube? Thats what I ask for and I just pop it into a shot glass with some water and let it dissolve and then give it via g-tube.
Heres hoping tomorrow will bring better sugar levels and nice weather

Gilda said...

Hi,Jocalyn sounds like you had a pretty tough day today. Sorry to hear about whats going on with Kendall it makes me sad that this sweet baby girl should go through so much. I know god has her hand and yours threw all this....Please give Kendall a huge hug from me she is so adorable.

Anonymous said...

Jocalyn, sorry to hear about the seizure. If you can switch to the Amox capsules, they have no carbs. My son is taking them right now and we are opening them and mixing them with peanut butter - works great. Not sure if you can use them, but it's worth asking. Hope tomorrow is better for you all. I loved the new pics. She's an angel.
Donna (Yahoo keto group)

Jennybell said...

Sadly I think this is your normal
:(. The seizures suck! My girl had one yesterday, she just turned and looked at me then fell back right into the corner of the oak entertainment center. Scared the crap out of me and my nerves were shot all day!Actually she had 29 yesterday,but that's the only time she fell into something. Seizures suck! They make you feel so helpless!

Jennifer Ortiz said...

So sorry for the tough day, I hope they get better. I have been REALLY pissy lately because I don't think our lives will ever be normal again, I guess I shouldn't want them to be tho, but still grrr. Hope to see you guys soon