Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Patience Grasshopper


Oh dear. So Kendall still isn't eating 100%. We've had to get really creative. I mean REALLY creative. In a nutshell, yesterday she ate 400 calories and had about 9 ounces of fluid all day. Today she increased to about 500 calories, and has had about 12 ounces of fluid. Mostly Powerade Zero, flavored water, and the cream that goes with her meals. We've figured out if we whip the cream and add vanilla and sweetener she thinks its desert. Tomorrow morning I have a plethora of fruit smoothies to try. And a bunch of flavorful meals already prepared. Hopefully I can get meds down in the morning cause tonight was bad again.
I'm concerned about her fluid intake for a number of reasons....but we check her urine for blood, and glucose, etc...once a week. There isn't any blood, but her glucose square was pretty dark. Unfortunately the Endocrine clinic is totally swamped taking calls from kids with the Swine Flu, so nobody called me back again today...Her blood sugar has decreased with our increase of Lantus, so hopefully that will continue. Her Ketones remain steady between 6-7. I just hope that's not a sign of dehydration...and instead a sign of our diligence on the diet. SHE NEEDS MORE FLUID INTAKE...that's for sure.
We almost went to our Pediatrician's office today to have him check her ears, but I went with my gut. She isn't running fever, she's laughing (see above) and full of personality, so I decided it wasn't worth the risk of getting Strep or the flu.
I gave her a liquid glycerin suppository tonight. This was our first time. That in combination with her regular everyday Miralax was deadly. I was holding her when the explosion occurred. Justin and I managed to survive. I'm just wondering why I didn't discover that miraculous invention sooner!
Kamden's having his 9th birthday party on Friday. Yes, folks, I reluctantly agreed to a sleepover. We will have 8 boys ALL NIGHT to go to Dave and Buster's and drive me crazy. I know it's a bit of a ridiculous idea, but Kamden has been such a trooper and a loving brother, he totally deserves it...so I couldn't say no! Wish me luck.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck!
(Since you asked.)
;)
Barbara

Kristine said...

I totally hear you about the feeding/dehydration stress. Not sure what's going on with Katie this week, but she's started holding food in her mouth. So on top of eating almost nothing, now she won't even swallow it. Sigh.

Hope Kendall starts drinking and eating up a storm. :)

Jennybell said...

My girls on the ketogenic diet too and today is not wanting to eat. Threw all her Cheerios to the dog so I made her drink into an eggnog and she spent 3 hours getting that down!
Sometimes with my girl it's acid reflux making her not want to eat, Mylanta (original flavor) is ok to give them. Naomi's 15.1 KG and I only give her 1/2 tsp.
Naomi was so bound up once it took over 1/2 hour for the suppository to work! If you've used one you know how quick they usually work!
Also do you use Cal Mag Zinc? We've been using the Cal Mag Zinc 3 because it has vitamins and everything so only 1 dose and it's all in there. That used to keep my girl going but she was on a higher ratio for a while and it slowed everything down.

Jennifer Ortiz said...

ARGH the feeding issues, I so relate. Speaking of I need to pick up that pediasure still :). Happy birthday to your little boy! Em turns 11 on Monday!