Tuesday, October 20, 2009

still here

We are still in the ICU. Kendall's status remains the same.She's still sleeping and only stirs when she's stuck.Her ph levels are improving and so are her potassium levels. There has been more talk of discontinuing the diet. Some think its worth it (Neurology) others aren't convinced (endocrine.)

Oh, and somewhere along the way her line was contaminated resulting in positive cultures in her blood and urine. It was explained to me that when they started an iv there may have been something non sterile that got inside. Its growing fast so more antibiotics have been ordered and it will definitely lengthen our stay. I'm waiting on an infectious diseases dr now.

Last night was really rough for the poor little girl next to us. I'm already overflowing with emotions for Kendall so the sad situation next to us with a foster child with similar issues to Kendall is breaking my heart.I can't stop crying for her. She's all alone. The care is great but I hate the ICU. We aren't being moved anytime soon so I guess I'd better put my big girl panties on and deal with it.

My dad stayed last night with me so I was able to sleep for a couple hours. Not peacefully though. I've had 4 hours total in the past 5 days. I've always said sleep was overrated... now I'm not so sure. I'm on my own today. Justins boss has been amazing but he hasn't been to work in a week so he kinda needs to get back. Again... This sucks. Poor Kendall. Poor me. Poor foster kids, poor seizure kids, poor kids with other special needs. Poor people who just don't get it. I wish I could just take all the bad away. These kids don't deserve this. At all.

14 comments:

Jennifer Ortiz said...

SNIFF SNIFF, no they don't deserve it. I am so sorry. I wonder if I can come hug on the foster child :(. No one should be alone. I am glad you are such a great parent to Kendall. I am hoping she gets better soon.

Unknown said...

nothing that I can say will help, or make everything magically go away, so all I can offer you is a ton of hugs, and a million prayers!

Anonymous said...

My prayers continue for your family. I am sad about the foster kiddo as we are a foster family and do stay with our little 24/7 of her hospital stays. Glad you are praying for her!

Jennybell said...

This made my eyes water. When ever we've stayed at the hospital with our daughter there is always another kid there who we feel so bad for. You just wonder what poor child is on the bottom of that totem pole. I mean, we feel sorry for one child, that family feels sorry for another and so on. What poor parents look around and see no one worse off than their family?
I knew someone once who worked for social services and was taking a foster child to see his father and when they got there the father had died and the kid was upset and the worker couldn't even hold and comfort the kid because of all the regulations they have to follow because of inproprieties :( that would be hard!

Anonymous said...

Praying for you and your family - hope Kendall and Kamden start to feel better soon. Try to get some rest.
Donna

Bronx Cataldo's said...

Keeping your little Kendall in out thoughts and also the rest of your family.
It looks we might be riding the same road. Eoghans sugars are way off so now we are in the testing phase and will have to wait to see where it leads.
Hang in there we are all cheerign for Kendall

Tara Bennett said...

I am sending prayers for you and Kendall and the little girl next to you and Kamden. I am so sorry you are going through this.

I'd love to send a blanket, if you'll give me your address. I want to do something, but I wish it could be something more. {{HUGS}}

Reagan Leigh said...

So tough. Certainly not fair, not for any kids to have to go through this! Continued prayers for your entire family!

Candace said...

Hi Jocalyn, I found you from Jude's mom. My heart breaks but I am praying for Kendall. My daughter, Faith Ann, is five and had a stroke @ birth also. She has spastic diplegic CP as well as epilepsy. I am a juvenile (type 10) diabetic, also. I am here to chat and pray for you and Kendall. So nice to meet you. We are going to pray those b.sugars down!

Karen Owens said...

Praying!

A Journey for Joshua said...

You are not alone...

Anonymous said...

The comments so far are very meaningful. True. I am praying for Kendall and her family, too.
Barbara

K D said...

Thinking of you.

Anonymous said...

Jocalyn-
I have been a silent follower until now. I don't know if Holly has every mentioned me or my son Brock, but I've always wanted to meet you. She first told me about you when I was talking to her about me having 2 MTHFR mutations. Anyway, we got admitted to the ICU last night after Brock (my soon to be 5 year old son) had his second status seizure. I just ran home to grab a few things while he is sleeping soundly with my hubby. I think we are in 2808. I texted Holly late last night to let her know we were here and she said she had another friend there. I told her I know...I still read their blog and I would like to say hi. So, I know you're tired and overwhelmed, but I'll be back up there in a few hours. Call or text me is it's ok for me to come say hi or you can stop in and say hi to us. If you get this before 7 am, text me your Starbuck's order and I'll bring you one too!! 817-821-5073

Take Care,

Stacey Danford